Baking Your Own Bread

by John on Friday, November 07, 2008

Hello everyone!

Last night Ann Pan invited me to join this blog (This is John Li) so here I am!

I am really impressed by the level of collaboration and activity present on this blog.

Now that I should actually post some content:

Over the summer, while learning how to cook for myself, I stumbled upon a bunch of interesting recipes for various dishes. The one that I have loved the most is The Simple Dollar's Homemade Bread Recipe. Quote the introduction:

Over the last year, I’ve gradually moved more and more towards making my own food at home. There are several reasons for this: it tastes better, it reduces preservative intake, it’s more nutritious, and it’s often substantially cheaper than what you find in the store. It does take time, but once you get used to it, most food preparation doesn’t take much more time than going to the store, buying it, taking it home, popping it out of the package, and following the directions.

Breadmaking is a prime example of this phenomenon. Homemade bread is substantially tastier than store-purchased bread, isn’t laden with preservatives, is very inexpensive to make, and doesn’t take all that much time, either.

I've baked so many variations of this bread that kneading by hand is almost second nature for me now. The post includes clear instructions and photos. I highly recommend giving it a shot over the weekend.

Right now my dough is rising in the oven...


6 comments:

Comment by sophlightning305 on November 8, 2008 at 12:19 AM

jooooohn liiii! glad you joined sir, this is joey

 
Comment by sophlightning305 on November 8, 2008 at 12:20 AM

and that bread looks good

 
Comment by snakesaywhat on November 8, 2008 at 2:43 AM

Welcome John. Yum, I have someone to talk to about food!

 
Comment by epfanne on November 8, 2008 at 10:17 AM

did you ever try baking Irish soda bread?

 
Comment by Grandpa's Way on November 8, 2008 at 7:01 PM

lol that's my bowl on the right, the one I eat rice with :D

btw there's soda bread!? that's wack

 
Comment by Q on November 11, 2008 at 12:59 AM

i'll have to try out your bread the next time i come up, john.