Useful Websites/Software!

by T.Tao on Saturday, September 06, 2008

Hello, hello, and welcome to me nerd-ing off. If techy stuff turns you on, get ready to be seriously aroused.

There's a ton of really useful stuff out there. I'm writing this post very selfishly because some of the coolest programs aren't useful unless your friends also use them. There's some others I want to touch briefly on too, but let's start with things I want YOU to start using.


Group Software









Called RTM for short, this is an online to-do list. Stay with me for a sec, I know what you're thinking: "oh a to-do list, gosh Terry, could you be any more boring?"


This shit is full-featured, man! Read more by clicking here!







Get with the inventor and king of microblogging. Each entry is 140 characters or less, limiting people to short and witty details of their lives. You can log on and view the twitters of your friends while adding some of your own, or you can twitter right from your cell phone! Not you, Joey, because you can't send text messages, but everyone else can. There's RSS feeds if you're into that kind of stuff.



There's not much more I can explain, but I suggest you go to www.twitter.com and click on the red "Watch a Video!" button.






3) Jooce. "Your desktop away from your desktop"







Jooce is a program that allows you to place and share files online. There's much more to it than just that, though! Click here to read more of my silly, excited, software writing.










ChaCha actually isn't a website (*gasp) or software (double *gasp!). Actually, it's a question answering service. Try it: text any question from your cellphone to 242242 (chacha) or call 1-800-2-chacha and ask your question. Usually, answers come back within 2 or 3 minutes! Ask anything: restaurant suggestion, directions, movies, ANYTHING. Do you know why? Because there's a REAL HUMAN BEING answering the questions! Click here to read more!







5) Then there's the "of course" ones: Skype, Google Calendar, ooVoo (skype with audio and/or video conferencing), googleTalk. I don't even need to tell you guys about those, you already know that they're awesome. Unless you don't, in which case an update is soon to come!

6) Reddit.com -Suggested by HotLikeAToaster


Reddit.com is a great way of keeping up with what's new on the Internet and in the world. There's news stories, editorials, funny pictures and comics, and of course discussions about new and awesome websites/programs!




Other Baller Programs


1) Mint


Mint is a free and easy way to track your finances. According to their website, it's been approved by mcafee and verisign for military grade security. Newspapers like the WSL are raving about it. I, myself, think it's pretty cool.

Alright, you know the drill by now, Click here to read more!









This one is VITAL. CCleaner, which stands for Crap Cleaner, is a program that will remove junk from your windows machine. Don't you know? Windows (especially Vista) accumulates junk over time...almost like the operating system is decaying. To keep your computer healthy, you need to clean out the junk.

The first time I used CCleaner, it deleted more than 8 GIGS of crap! That's right, 8 GIGS back to me! Since then, I run it periodically to recover 1 or 2 GB each time. That screenshot is me running CCleaner today to get a screenshot of it in action. But I had used it yesterday too. That means that my machine picked up 65 MBs of garbage in one day.

With an accumulation rate like that, how can you afford not to download this FREE utility?







Foxit Reader is great. You know that huge mammoth-snail program you use called Adobe Reader to open up PDF files? Yeah, fuck that. Click here for your epiphany.







Whew, that's it for now, guys. I'm actually missing a lot of really cool programs and websites. Spoffee, Jing, Pageonce, Woot, Reddit, launchy, Revo Uninstaller, Audacity, Google Chrome, Fit Brains, Display Fusion...you can look those up. Or if you enjoyed reading this, I wouldn't mind finishing up some time. Alright, have fun kiddos.


-T.Tao


1 comments:

Comment by T.Tao on September 10, 2008 at 9:20 AM

Wow, Toaster, I didn't even notice that you edited the post! Thanks for adding reddit; I missed that one while thinking up my list